policies conversationThe policies, regulations, and procedures stated in this section are designed to assist CSU's students during their matriculation. All students are responsible for complying with the policies, regulations, and procedures published on this page as well as those in other official University publications and announcements.

Please refer to the University's Catalog for additional policies, regulations, and procedures.

CSU reserves the right to update, revise, or withdraw all or any part of the policies, regulations, and procedures whenever such action is deemed appropriate or necessary.


International Baccalaureate/Advanced Placement Credit Policies

Some programs offered through the College of Arts and Sciences accept credit for IB (International Baccalaureate) courses and/or AP (Advanced Placement) exams if they meet specific criteria as listed.  Students who want to know if their AP or IB credit will be accepted should contact the Office of Evaluation and Advisement in Room ADM 128 or contact their academic advisor. 

Official transcripts indicating the completion of IB coursework and/or official copies of AP exam scores from the College Board need to be submitted in order to receive college-level credit.

Students can submit copies to us directly through College Board (our school code is 001694). Alternatively, you may have official copies mailed to:.

Office of the Registrar ADM 128


Chicago State University

9501 S. King Dr

Chicago, IL 60628


Click links below to download our policies

Chicago State University recognizes that individuals may choose to identify themselves within the university community with a chosen first name and/or gender that differs from their legal first name or assigned gender at birth. This policy promotes and supports an open and inclusive environment through the establishment of a chosen name, chosen gender identity and chosen pronouns for use within University systems, where feasible. Chosen first names are used throughout the university, where feasible. 

CSU reserves the right to remove a chosen first name, if it is used inappropriately, including but not limited to, avoiding a legal obligation or for the purpose of misrepresentation. The legal name will continue to be used in college-related systems, business processes, IT systems (user account, and e-mail address), and documents such as reporting, financial aid, transcripts, payroll and tax documents, and other records where use of legal first name is required by law or college policy. 

To request an update to a chosen name or gender, students will submit this web-form online. For assistance or questions, please reach out to the Registrar’s Office in the Cook Administration Building, Rm. 128 or email: csu-registrar@csu.edu

Note: if you want to use your legal first name, you do not need to do anything. The college will automatically use your legal name and there is no need to confirm that with a form.

Policy on Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Notification to Students)

CSU, in full compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, shall make educational records available to students upon request. Likewise, in accordance with the law, individually identifiable educational records will not be released to other than authorized individuals without written consent of the student. Students have the right to file complaints with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA) concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the Act.The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar, dean, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent or other service provider - such as the National Student Clearinghouse; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University may disclose education records without consent to another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by State University to comply with the requirements by FERPA.

CSU considers the following categories to be directory information, and, as such, may release it to any or all inquirers in such forms as directories or computer address lists:

  1. the student's name;
  2. Degree;
  3. Major;
  4. Honors (e.g. Dean's list); 
  5. Enrollment status (e.g. full-time, part-time, withdrawn)
  6. Dates of attendance
  7. Graduation status. 

Students who do not wish this information to be released may prevent such release by submitting this form to prevent the disclosure of directory information

Comments or suggestions? Contact us: csu-registrar@csu.edu

The University has policies for both students regarding calls to active military service. Refer to the Institutional Policy Manual. Students are allowed to withdraw from the University and be allowed to re-enroll. Arrangements for refunds, loan or grant repayments should be addressed by the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of the Registrar handles all other academic matters. Students should notify both offices immediately upon receiving an official call up notice.

Leave of Absence Policy (pdf)

Periodically students must interrupt their enrollment due to extenuating circumstances.  Allowing students to take a leave of absence (LOA), provides student with the opportunity to return to the University under the rules and policies in effect when they left.  It also allows the University the opportunity to counsel students about the required actions to return upon the end of the leave.

A leave of absence (LOA) is a temporary interruption in a student’s program of study and refers to the specific time period during a program when a student is not in attendance.   A LOA, together with any additional leave of absence, must not exceed a total of 180 days in a 12 month period. The 12 month period begins on the first day of the student’s initial LOA.  All student requests for a LOA must be submitted in writing, signed and dated.    Please refer to the University website for process and procedures in requesting a leave of absence.

CSU offers a priority registration week, allowing certain student populations to register in advance of others.

Registration for:

  • Summer and Fall open the 1st Monday of April
  • Spring opens the 1st Monday of November. 

Although the dates change each year, this is an outline of the priority registration schedule each term:  

Registration Begins Student Groups/Levels

Professionals (PR)
Doctoral (DR)
Graduates (GR)
Second Bachelors
Honors College

Monday Seniors
Tuesday Juniors
Wednesday Sophomores 
Thursday Freshmen
Friday Students-at-Large; all students


Students are awarded Title IV aid with the assumption that they will complete the entire period (semester) for which the assistance was provided.  The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, requires students to earn Title IV funds on a pro rata (in proportion) basis.  When students cease enrollment in all cases after the period begins, the U.S. Department of Education requires schools to determine if such students earned all the aid they received or if additional aid must be paid based on attendance.


CSU’s responsibility is to determine the amount of Title IV aid assistance that the student earned as of the date enrollment ceased (withdrawal date).  The Federal Return of Title IV funds formula dictates the amount of Title IV aid that must be returned to the Federal government by the school within 45 days of the student’s notification date or the date that CSU determines the student’s enrollment ceased.

The Federal assistance programs for which Title IV funds are returned include:  Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, TEACH Grant, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, Federal Perkins loan, Direct Graduate Plus loan, Direct Parent Plus loan, Subsidized Direct Stafford loan, and Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loan.

In accordance with the Illinois Truth in Tuition Act 110 ILCS 675/20-125, each new undergraduate class of students (i.e. first-time Freshman and Transfer students) will have their tuition rate held constant for six years. The guaranteed rate will remain in effect for six years or until the student reaches 120 credit hours, whichever comes first (unless a major or program exceeds the 120 hr requirement). The guaranteed rate will remain in effect except in the event of a break in enrollment of no more than one years (i.e. two semesters, excluding Summer school).

Click here for more on our current tuition rates. 

CSU is a non-attendance taking institution and as such withdrawal dates are determined in two ways:

  • Through a student-initiated withdrawal (official)
  • Through a CSU administrative withdrawal (unofficial)

The student-initiated withdrawal occurs when the student notifies CSU of his/her intent to withdraw.  Administrative withdrawal occurs when CSU determines that the student is no longer enrolled based on a variety of reasons such as (but not limited to):  a student’s lack of academic activity, failure to establish academic activity at the beginning of a new term, student dismissal due to disciplinary reason or failure to pay tuition.

The initial amount of Title IV aid assistance earned is based on the number of calendar days that the student was enrolled within the semester.  During the first 60% of the enrollment period, a student earns Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time he/she is enrolled. The initial percentage of aid earned is determined by the total number of calendar days completed in the enrollment period (from the start of the semester through the date student initiated withdrawal), divided by the calendar days in the semester. Scheduled breaks of five or more consecutive days are excluded.

For more information on Return of Title IV please refer to csu.edu.

Office of Records and Registration
Cook Administration Building - Room 128
9501 South King Drive
Chicago, IL 60628-1528
Phone: (773) 995-2517
Fax: (773) 995-3618

Questions, comments, suggestions?
Contact us: csu-registrar@csu.edu