FAQ 1098-T

1098 Money


Form 1098-T is an informational report of payments received for qualified tuition and fees that a student was billed and scholarships/grants received in a calendar year (Jan. 1st -Dec. 31st) that are provided to assist you, the taxpayer, in determining if you are eligible to claim tax credits such as Hope Scholarship Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit for educational expenses.

Each University must report payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses within the calendar year (Jan. 1st -Dec. 31st).

To review information about these two Tax Credit options as a result of the Tax Relief Act of 1997, you may access IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Education" and visit http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Benefits-for-Education:-Information-Center.
The 1098-T tax forms will be available to eligible students on January 31st.
Please contact your professional tax advisor and/or the IRS: Click here. 
Qualified charges include tuition and mandatory fees a student is required to pay in order to be enrolled at or attend Chicago State University. The payments presented in box 1 represent all payments received for qualified tuition and fees.  Payments will not exceed the amount of qualified tuition and fees.
Charges and fees that do not qualify are those associated with room & board, student activities, athletics, insurance, books, equipment, transportation, and similar personal, living or family expenses. 

To view your 1098-T:

  • Log-in to CSU Xpress
  • Click on Student Menu
  • Select Tax Notification and Enter Tax Year 

To view your payments:

  • Log-in to CSU Xpress
  • Click on Student Menu
  • Select Account Summary or View Account by Term 
  • Students that are currently enrolled - contact ITD help desk at (773) 995-3963
  • Students not currently enrolled - log-in through CSU X-press.
  • If you are still experiencing problems, please contact ITD help desk at (773) 995-3963
Yes. The University reports amounts payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses (box 1), as well as amounts of any scholarships or grants (box 5).
No. There is no requirement for the 1098-T to be attached along with your tax return. This document may be kept for your personal records.
Whether a student has to file a tax return depends on many factors. Please consult a professional tax advisor to determine if filing is necessary. 
No. The address shown on Form 1098‑T is not required for IRS income tax filing purposes.
To change your SSN, please stop by the Admissions Office, ADM 200 with your Social Security Card. 
Most likely, you signed up for your Spring term classes before December 31st of the prior tax reporting year. Therefore, the charges would have been reported on last year's 1098-T.

Yes. To view your prior year 1098‑T:

  • Log-in to Cougar Connect
  • Click on Student Menu
  • Select Tax Notification and Enter Tax Year 

Box 9 will not be checked if you were not enrolled in a graduate degree program, or you were enrolled during the calendar year first as an undergraduate student and then a graduate student.

In general, international students cannot claim a credit. However, some international students may be eligible. If you are an international student, the University will not file a 1098‑T form on your behalf unless you have an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or SSN on your student record. "Original" SSN or ITIN information must be shown to the Registrar's Office, ADM128 by Nov. 1st of each year. Please review the IRS Forms and Publications for additional guidance.

Students can drop off form at the Office of the Bursar (ADM213) or email them to bursars@csu.edu. You must provide an address to return the form when processing is complete. Please allow 2 weeks for processing.

For additional information, please Click here for the IRS Website.

Internal Revenue Service: (800)-829-1040

Office of the Bursar - ADM 213: (773) 995-2470