Who determines what I am eligible for? Can I talk to someone for more in-depth information regarding my VA status? 

Soldiers should speak with their assigned Educational Services Officer or Counselor prior to enrolling for classes. Chicago State University falls under the VA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis, Missouri. Call (888) 442-4551 for answers to your questions or visit va.gov

Semester Certification

Certification (VA Form 22-1999) is the information your school's certifying official sends to the regional processing office. The student's enrollment dates, training status, and class standing are all a part of the certification. The sooner you turn in your paperwork, the sooner you will start receiving your monthly benefits. Rule of thumb: Turn in your forms as soon as possible after class registration to ensure a timely certification.
For each semester, you need to turn in a completed Veterans Affairs Waiver Request form. The VA Waiver Request forms are available at the Office of Student Financial Aid. Fill out the student portion and then take the form to your Certifying Official. Certification cannot be done without this form.
If you change your enrollment, immediately fill out and submit an updated an Add/Drop form. Withdrawing from a course may reduce your benefits. You may have to repay benefits unless you can show the change was due to mitigating circumstances. (If you have mitigating circumstances, let the certifying official know so the information can be added to the updated certification.) Indicate on the Add/drop form which classes were dropped and/or added. If you are adding a class that has not previously been approved by your academic advisor, the form must be signed by the advisor. If you are just dropping a class, the form only needs your signature.


Policy for Mitigating Circumstances

The VA requires students using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to provide mitigating circumstances when they withdraw from or drop a course after the drop/add period and receive a non-punitive grade. Acceptable mitigating circumstances must be provided in order to pay benefits for the period of attendance prior to the drop date. If they are not provided and accepted, any benefits paid from the beginning date of the term will be considered an overpayment, and a debt may be established. If you've dropped classes after the drop/add period or had to stop attending and received a grade that isn't factored into your Grade Point Average, chances are the term "mitigating circumstances" was mentioned in a letter we sent you. So what are "mitigating circumstances" and why should you care? To learn more, read the VA's Mitigating Circumstances.

What if I change my major?

You need to have your academic advisor supply an updated degree sheet showing your completed credits and notify your Certifying Official. Your certification cannot be done until a new degree sheet is received.

Grades and the GI Bill®

If you fail a class, credits to repeat the class can be re-certified.  You can use your benefits to improve a grade only if the grade you received is not acceptable under your program. If you receive a grade that is acceptable under your program, you cannot use your benefits to retake the course for a better grade.
The VA uses the same progress standards listed in the CSU catalog.  If your low grades lead to suspension due to unsatisfactory progress, the suspension will be reported to the VA.
Tutorial assistance can be reimbursed by the GI Bill® for chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606.  Tutorial assistance is not available for chapter 1607 at this time. You must provide a letter from the course instructor stating you are deficient in the course and that individual tutoring would help correct the deficiency. You should contact the Learning Assistance Center for available tutors.  The monthly amount reimbursed cannot exceed $100. To apply, complete VA Form 22-1990t, Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance. Forms are available on the GI Bill® website, or, from the certifying official at the office of Student Financial Aid. You will be required to pay the tutor and the VA will reimburse you.


What the GI Bill® Pays For

The VA will pay only for classes that are degree-applicable. This means only classes within your course of study or major. Anything outside the degree program will not be eligible for benefits.
If your degree has elective credits, you can use these electives to take classes for a minor.  Otherwise, classes for a minor cannot be counted for certification.  When you have filled your open electives, no future elective credits can be certified.
The GI Bill® will pay benefits for two semesters as a non-admit student. After two semesters, benefits will stop until you are formally admitted. Courses taken while a non-admit student should be limited to classes that would be acceptable to any program on campus (i.e., core requirements).
Yes, but only when those courses count toward your major/degree. If a course is not degree-applicable, you cannot receive benefits.



Call the VA at (877) 838-2778 to update your direct deposit information. Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 students who verify their attendance online can change their address and direct deposit information at that site.  Other chapter students should call the VA hotline number at (888) 442-4551 to update their address.
No. Any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Only Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 must verify. In order to receive your monthly benefits from the GI Bill®, you must verify your enrollment at the end of each month. There are two ways to verify; both are available 24 hours a day.

  • Go to the GI Bill® website under Information for Benefit Recipients/WAVE
  • Telephone (877) 823-2378 and use the Interactive Voice Response


Who pays my tuition and fees?

Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607: It is your responsibility to see that tuition and fees are paid on time. Tuition and fees are due prior to the start of each semester. Your benefits are paid at the end of each month for that month.

Chapter 33:  Students must supply their Certificate of Eligibility to the VA certifying official.  A completed and signed VA Waiver Request form must also be supplied prior to the start of the semester.  The VA certifying official will then figure the amount due from the VA and will place a hold for 30 days on that part of the student’s tuition and fee bill.  Students who fail to pay the remaining balance will accrue late fees and could be purged from classes.  VA cannot be charged for late fees or reinstatement fees. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.