The Financial Aid Process

The financial aid process can be confusing, and it can vary somewhat from school to school. We hope the information provided in the links below will help alleviate any confusion you may experience and assist you in completing the financial aid process at Chicago State University.
Return of Title IV Funds
All students who withdraw from CSU are subject to the Title IV Return of Funds policy. During the first 60% of the enrollment period, a student earns Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time he/she is enrolled. The percentage of aid earned is determined by the date the student initiates the withdraws, the total number of calendar days in the enrollment period, and the calendar days the student completed during the period of enrollment.
Post-Withdrawal Disbursement Policy
In general Universities may not disburse a Stafford or Plus loan to a student who has ceased to be enrolled – the student is no longer eligible. In some circumstances, however, a student who has withdrawn from CSU may be eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement of all or some portion of a Stafford or Plus loan.
If you are age 65, or over, you may be eligible for free tuition. For more information please access our Senior Citizens Tuition Waiver web page
Unusual Enrollment History
Effective with the 2013-2014 academic year, the U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. 
The Financial Aid Process at Chicago State University (.pdf)
An overview of the financial aid process at CSU  .  .  .   a MUST READ for all prospective, and currently enrolled, students.
Fact Sheet (.pdf)
A quick reference to the financial assistance process and programs available at CSU.
Student Aid on the Web
A U.S. Department of Education web site providing expanded information about the financial aid process.
Federal Student Aid web site
View and download resources from the office of Federal Student Aid.
Current and prospective teachers may qualify for the Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program. In order to be eligible for the TEACH Grant, student's must have a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.25. Students with incomplete grades (I) are not eligible for the TEACH Grant. Candidates may monitor award status via CSU X-Press.
Federal Perkins Loan
A student wishing to be considered for Perkins may make initial application by adding his/her name, and pertinent contact information, to a "sign-up list", which will be available during regular business hours, prior to the beginning of each academic year on August 1st, at the Office of Student Financial Aid customer service windows.

Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) web site
Comprehensive information concerning State of Illinois and Federal funding resources

The "SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid". A comprehensive financial aid web site

Title IV Financial Aid Funds Authorization
Federal regulations require that colleges and universities apply your Title IV Federal financial aid funds (Direct Loans, PLUS Loans, Pell, SEOG, TEACH Grants, etc.) first to "institutional charges", which are tuition, mandatory fees, contracted University room and board fees, etc. In order to apply any remaining Title IV funds to non-institutional (miscellaneous) charges including, but not limited to book vouchers and health insurance fee, etc., CSU is required to obtain your authorization. For further information please visit the Bursar's Office Title IV Financial Aid Funds Authorization web page.

Referral of Fraud Cases
If you suspect that a student, employee, or other individual has misreported information or altered documentation to fraudulently obtain federal funds, you should report your suspicions and provide any evidence to the Office of Inspector General. Contact the Chicago, Illinois regional office at (312) 730-1630. To submit a complaint online at any time, go to: and click on the appropriate link.

Not sure what everyone is talking about? Refer to these extensive lists of financial aid terms . . .

Financial Aid Glossary, brought to you by FinAid

                            - and/or -

Glossary, brought to you by the U.S. Department of
Education's Student Aid on the Web web site



You will need  get Adobe Reader  to download some of the forms/documents on this web site.




Last Update: 02-14-2018