Chicago State University
Student Financial Aid
Welcome to the Office of Student Financial Aid

Welcome to the Office of Student Financial Aid 

The mission of the Office of Student Financial Aid is to support the University's overall goal of providing an affordable, quality education by providing financial assistance to those students and their families seeking to offset their educational costs.
You need to know .  .  .

  • Complete your FAFSA -  Complete your 2019-2020 FAFSA - When? Beginning Monday, October 1, 2018. By filing you FAFSA on, or as soon as possible after, October 1st, you establish eligibility for Financial Aid funds which have limited funding and are awarded on a first-come, first served basis, such as the State of Illinois MAP Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and Federal College Work-Study. For more information please visit our Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA) web page.visit our Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA) web page.
  • Assistance completing your FAFSA - Assistance is available every day, during regular business hours, in the Office of Student Financial Aid, Room 207 in the Cook Administration Building. Additionally, assistance will be available, from Noon until 2 PM, every Wednesday and Thursday in Room 122 of the Cordell Reed Student Union Building. 
  • Creating a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID - Students, and parents of Dependent students, need to create a FSA ID (PINs are no longer acceptable) in order to access certain Federal web sites, such as and, and to sign certain financial aid documents, such as the Master Promissory Notes. Creating an FSA ID is a simple process. It will only take you a few minutes. Please download a handy "How to create an FSA ID" guide for further information. You may also obtain additional information on the "The FSA ID is your electronic passport to federal student aid online" web page. 
  • Senior Citizens - Did you know that you might be eligible for free tuition?  -  For more information please access our Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver web page.
  • TANF - We have not been informed, as of yet, if TANF will be available for the Fall semester. The earliest we would expect notification of possible Fall TANF funding would be in late September or October.
  • Become and Stay Informed - Students are required to become familiar with all rules, regulations and issues (Federal, State and CSU) that may affect their financial aid eligibility by regularly reviewing the university's Undergraduate Academic Catalog and/or the Graduate and Professional Academic Catalog, the Office of Student Financial Aid web site, and their individual account information which they may access through Cougar Connect and on CSU X-press. Visit this web page periodically for information regarding any changes to financial aid programs that may affect your eligibility and remember to read all e-mail communications from the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • How to Register an Institutional Complaint with the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE)  -   If you have an unresolved complaint with CSU, or any other institution of higher education, IBHE may be able to help you to resolve your issue. 
  • CSU's U.S. Department of Education's Office of Postsecondary Education school code is  001694 



Quick link to COUGAR CONNECT (access your e-mail - check it often) 

If you are a veteran, or the child or spouse of a veteran, you may be eligible for educational benefits. For more information please visit our Veterans Affairs web site.


If you are interested in applying for admission to an undergraduate program please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions web site or contact them at 773-995-2513.
If you are interested in applying for admission to a Masters or Doctorate program please visit the School of Graduate and Professional Studies web site or contact them at 773-995-2404. 

If you have any comments or questions about the content of this web page, or if you should come across a broken link, please e-mail the Office of Student Financial Aid web site publisher at



You will need  get Adobe Reader  to download some of the forms/documents on this web site.