Student Employment

The purpose of student employment is to provide opportunities that allow students to gain work experience, develop good work habits (such as punctuality, understanding and following directions, and working effectively with others) as well as help finance their education while enrolled in the University. Student employment also gives the student an opportunity to serve the needs of the community and give them an enriching and rewarding experience. 

Types of Student Employment

Federal Work Study

Also known as "Work-Study", the Federal Work-Study Program is an employment program for some, but not all, financial aid recipients. Through work-study, the federal government pays the wages of students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Some of the positions may include:

  • Community Service

    These positions can be either on-campus or off-campus. They are designed to improve the quality of life for the community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems to their needs.

  • Family Literacy

    These positions perform family literacy activities that provide services to families with preschool age children or elementary school children. These activities can include serving as a reading or mathematics tutor.

Jones Convocation Center Workers

Students are employed on an “As-needed” basis to work various events in the Emil and Patricia Jones Convocation Center during the academic year. Positions include:

  • Ticket Agents
  • Ushers
  • Concession Stand Worker
  • Laborer (event set-up including floor and/or stage)
  • Media Light and Sounds

Tutors and Research Assistants

Students are employed to give individuals, or in some cases groups, support in gaining knowledge in an academic area.  These students serve as assistants to the professor in various disciplines. A level of expertise in a particular academic subject must be demonstrated to serve as a tutor or research assistant. Specialized training may be required.

How to apply:

Applications are accepted through the University's electronic applicant tracking system (click here). Applications are accepted beginning July 1st. The employment period coincides with the academic year, beginning the first week of Fall semester (August) and ending the last week of Spring semester (May). 

Note: There are limited opportunities during the summer months.


Contact: Office of Human Resources

Location: Cook Administration Building - Room 203

Phone: (773) 995-2040


Important Links:

Apply for Student Employment

Apply for Financial Aid - FAFSA (Federal Work-study employment ONLY)