Enrollment Related Services

Visit Us & Enroll Now


We are excited to begin the fall 2020 academic year! Enrollment services, advising and placement exams are here to assist you with the application process and registration for the fall semester on the following days. All you have to do is make an appointment first!

Saturday, August 15, 2020, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Monday, 17; Wednesday, August 19; Friday, August 21 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 22, 2020, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. 

Please contact the following offices to make your on-campus appointment today! Make sure to follow our campus safety guidelines related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Masks and social distancing are required on campus. For more details please visit, our FAQs at https://www.csu.edu/covid19updates/.

**If you are a new student and need to start at the very beginning of the process, please start with our Undergraduate Admissions office listed below.**


Located in the Cook Administration Building, room 101. Click here to make an appointment with admissions.

Placement Exams

Located in Gwendolyn Brooks Library. Due to the length of exams this service must be by appointment only. 

Click here to make an appointment for exams:

Financial Aid:

Located in the Cook Administration Building, room 207. Email the office (csu-finaid@csu.edu) to make an appointment

Bursar/Cashier Office:

Located in the Cook Administration Building, room 212. Email (bursar@csu.edu) or call to make an appointment

Bursar: (773) 995-2470

Cashier: (773) 995-2029


Located in the Cook Administration Building, room 128. Email (CSU-Registrar@csu.edu) or call (773) 995-2522 to make an appointment


Located in the Cordell Reed Student Union. Make an appointment by contacting your advisor. Find your advisor here.


ID services located in Gwendolyn Brooks Library. 


Admissions: The Office of Undergraduate Admissionsassists with the application process for freshman, transfer, international and dual enrollment students. 

Placement exams: All freshmen and first-time undergraduate students must take placement exams in English Composition and Math. Transfer students who do not meet CSU general education requirements in English and Math must also take placement exam(s).The exams are used for course placement only and not for an admissions decision. 

Financial Aid: The Office of Student Financial Aid helps with viewing and accepting your financial aid award, answering the TIV (Title Four) questions, and identifying missing documents for completing the financial aid process. We can provide assistance with completion of the 2020-21 FAFSA, completion of verification documents associated with the FAFSA and the MAP grant, supplying financial aid information for the Hold Release Form that is then submitted to the Bursar’s Office, Senior Citizen Waivers, Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals, and Veterans Benefits. 

Bursar/Cashier Office: The Bursar Office assists students with questions on their student account which includes tuition and fee charges, financial holds due to a prior balance, book vouchers, refunds,  and third party billing. The Cashier Office assists with payment options which include making a payment or enrolling in a payment plan online, paying your tuition and fees in person by cash or check, or making a credit card payment over the phone. 

Registrar: Services provided to students include name changes, residency classifications, registration, enrollment verifications, transcripts, major/minor changes, and readmission of undergraduate students. 

Academic Advising: Located in the Cordell Reed Student Union. Make an appointment by contacting your advisor. Find your advisor here.

IDs: All students must have a permanent Student Photo Identification Card.  A valid CSU I.D. card is required to use all university facilities, including the library and the computer laboratory.  Those who do not have a card must be photographed at the time of registration.  New students, students who have lost their I.D. cards, and students who have changed their names, must go to the Library to obtain a new or updated I.D. card.