Thank you for taking the time to consider providing a field placement for a Chicago
State University Master of Social Work student. The MSW Program at Chicago State
University is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
• Our program prepares students for advanced social work practice that uses strength-based
and family-centered principles in their approach to client systems. Students may specialize
in Direct Practice with Families and Children, Program Planning and Administration,
or School Social Work.
• Agencies that serve as practicum sites serve populations that have traditionally
been undeserved and considered vulnerable and oppressed such as women, ethnic minorities,
the poor, children, people of color, the elderly and persons of diverse religious
and sexual orientations.
• First year MSW students complete two semesters and a total of 400 clock hours in
the field while second year students complete two semesters and a total of 550 clock
hours in the field. Placements average two days a week, begin in August at the beginning
of the academic year and end in May. School Social Work students complete 600 clock
hours may remain in placement through June.
• Foundation placements provide students the opportunity to apply the generalist model
to practice as they assess and develop or enhance their beginning level practice skills
with individuals, families, groups communities and organizations. Advanced placements
allow students to work within their area of concentration where they are expected
to take on more complex practice task, function more independently and demonstrate
advanced skills e.g. multi-system assessments and multi-modal interventions or program
• The majority of our students have several years of experience in social services
and are employed during their educational experience. As a result agencies providing
quality learning experiences during evenings and weekends are very much needed.
• Agencies that would like to provide field placements should identify a Field Instructor
who has two years of post-MSW experience and interest in providing educational opportunities
Our program prepares students to meet the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
requirements for School Social Workers.
- A Post-MSW Type 73 Certificate is offered to students who have graduated from an accredited
Master of Social Work program. Students must also demonstrate successful completion
the test of Basic Skills.
- The Post-MSW Type 73 Certificate program is only offered in the fall semester. Students
are required to complete three classes over one semester. One of these classes is
the Field Practicum.
- Placements average three days a week, begin in August at the beginning of the academic
year and end in December. Students are required to complete a minimum of 300 clock
hours in their Field Practicum. This requires students to complete 20 hours per week
at the placement site.
- Schools that serve as practicum sites can be public or private schools within the
city of Chicago or suburban locations. Schools should serve a diverse student population,
and provide opportunities for learning experiences across grade levels.
- Most of the students in the Post-MSW Program have several years of experience in social
services and are often employed during their educational experience.
- A Faculty Field Liaison is assigned to monitor the placement and provide support to
the school Field Instructor and to the Post-MSW student.
- The supervising School Social Worker is required to meet with the student for one
hour per week in supervision, help develop the Learning Contract and monitor and evaluate
the student's progress in meeting the ISBE Standards for School Social Workers.
- Schools that would like to provide field placements for Post-MSW School Social Work
students should identify a Field Instructor who holds a Type 73 Certificate for School
Social Workers, has two years of post-MSW experience and is willing to provide an
educational opportunity for a student.
If your agency, school or school district would like to be added to our directory
of field practicum sites or to request further information on our program please contact:
Nadine Harris Clark, Director of Field Education, Ph. 773-995-2843, Mail: Chicago
State University, 9501 South King Drive, Science #116A, Chicago, IL 60628, Email:
Back to Fieldwork