Spring 2012 Academic Regulations

Academic Progression Policy
Academic Skills Courses & Placement Assessment
Cancelled Classes
Class Attendance
Course Numbering System

Credit Hour Load
Undergraduate Incomplete Grade Policy
Placement Assessment
Sexual Assault Prevention Training
Undergraduate Repeat Policy
Withdrawal from the University

Academic Progression Policy
A student who has not successfully completed the academic skills requirements will have hold(s) placed on his/her record that will remain until the specified requirements have been met.

Academic Skills Courses & Placement Assessment

Freshmen: Once accepted for admission to Chicago State University, all freshmen must take the University diagnostic examinations in English, mathematics, and reading by the end of the first term in residence. All freshmen must either meet the minimal requirements of the University diagnostic examinations or pass the appropriate academic skills course, namely English 1230, Reading 1500, or Math 0990. To exit from these courses, students must pass the appropriate examination.

Transfer Students: Transfer students who have not completed an associate’s degree (A.A. degree or A.S. degree) must take proficiency examinations in English and reading. Transfer students who transfer general education math courses with a C or better and whose majors do not require additional mathematics courses do not have to take the proficiency examination in mathematics.

Transfer students who do not transfer general education math or who are required by their majors to take more math must take the proficiency examinations in mathematics. Transfer students who have earned an associate's degree (A.A. degree or A.S. degree) or who have completed sixty 60 hours or
more from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions, and who have completed the Illinois General Education Core, are not required to take the proficiency examinations in English, reading or math unless they are required as a prerequisites for other courses.

Questions about the courses, the examinations, or preparation materials should be addressed to the appropriate department chairperson:

SubjectChairpersonOfficePhone (773)
MathematicsDr. K. AtteleHWH 332773-995-2102
EnglishDr. R. ChiericoHWH 301A773-995-2350
ReadingDr.N. GrimED 201773-995-3988


Cancelled Classes
The University reserves the right to limit the size of classes and to cancel classes for which there is insufficient enrollment. Class cancellations are usually made before the first day of class for the term. If the class for which you are registered is cancelled, you will automatically be dropped from the class. If you do not register for an alternative class, a tuition refund will be processed to your account according to the refund policy. Students receiving financial aid benefits may wish to consult with their financial aid counselor concerning any award implications.

Class Attendance
Students are expected to attend all class sessions in the course sections for which they are registered unless prevented by illness, an official University activity, or other urgent and unavoidable reasons. The responsibility for maintaining class attendance records rests with each faculty member. Students are expected to consult with instructors to complete class work and all assignments when
classes are missed.

The following is the university policy on class attendance:

• An instructor may drop students who do not attend the first day of class and make no attempt to contact the instructor or department chairperson prior to the absence. The instructor may report students who do not attend the first two weeks of class without evidence of a legitimate excuse to the registrar who will drop the student from the class.

• Instructors are required to monitor and keep records of the attendance of students at all class meetings. If a student’s total absences are equal to or exceed the equivalent of two weeks of instruction, the instructor may drop the student from the course with a grade of W by February 14. See Withdrawal from the University for more information.

• To drop or withdraw from courses, the student must use the drop/ withdrawal form, have an advisor sign it, and then submit the form to the Office of the Registrar.

• If a student stops attending a class but fails to officially withdraw from the class before the drop/withdrawal date, the result may be a failing grade. Although the instructor may drop a student
for poor attendance, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to withdraw. See Withdrawal from the University for more information.

• If a student stops attending a class but fails to officially withdraw from the class before the drop/withdrawal date, the student is still responsible for the tuition and fees assessed. See Spring 2012 Academic Calendar for drop/withdrawal deadline dates.

Confirm your registration in each course by reviewing your class schedule on CSU X-Press. If you are informed by the instructor and department representative that your name does not appear on the official preliminary and/or subsequent class rosters, it is your responsibility to investigate the matter immediately by contacting the Office of Records and Registration, ADM 128, at 773-995- 2517.

Course Numbering System

The course numbering system has changed from the use of three-digit course numbers to four-digit course numbers. For a full listing of the three-digit course numbers and the equivalent four-digit course numbers, please check the Course Number Conversion Guide.

Courses NumbersLevel
0900 to 0999Developmental
1000 to 1999Freshman
2000 to 2999Sophomore
3000 to 3999Junior
4000 to 4999Senior
5000 to 5999Masters
6000 to 6999Doctoral, Professional

Credit Hour Load
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS -The maximum credit hour load for the Fall and Spring semesters is 16 credit hours. Students whose CSU cumulative grade point average is 3.0 or better may register for a program of 18 semester hours. Additional hours beyond sixteen 16 must be approved by the department. The Office of the Registrar must record that approval in the system.

Although there is no minimum credit hour load for students, the following minimum credit hour loads are recommended: Veterans receiving benefits under Public Law 89-358 (Veterans Readjustments Benefits Act of 1966) must carry 12 credit hours to be eligible for full subsistence allowances during the fall and spring semesters. Students may not be registered at other colleges without written permission from the Academic Evaluation and Advisement Office, ADM 128. This permission MUST be obtained prior to registration at either college.

F-1 international students must carry a minimum 12 hours during fall and spring terms to maintain lawful F-1 student status in the United States.

GRADUATE STUDENTS – The maximum credit hour load of graduate courses is 12 hours in the Fall and Spring semesters. Exceptions to the graduate course credit hour load may be made with the approval of the graduate faculty advisor and/or the department chairperson and the graduate dean. Students may not be registered at other colleges and universities without approval of their advisor and the graduate dean. Permission must be obtained prior to registration at either college.

F-1 international students must carry a minimum of 12 hours during Fall and Spring terms to maintain lawful F-1 student status in the United States.

Undergraduate Incomplete Grade Policy
An undergraduate student may request a grade of Incomplete (I) in a non-academic skills course if extraordinary and unavoidable circumstances have prevented completion of the required course work. By requesting an Incomplete, the student agrees to complete of the required course work in accordance to the Incomplete (I) Grade Request & Contract form. If a student does not complete the course work by the specified date, the grade if "I" will be replaced by the default grade as stated in the contract.

A request for a grade of Incomplete must be initiated by the student and submitted in writing using the Incomplete (I) Grade Request & Contract form. The contract must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by May 15, 2012. Contracts submitted after this deadline may not be processed and result in the default grade of F.

The Incomplete (I) Grade Request & Contract form can be obtained in the Office of the Registrar, ADM 128. The form is also available online at www.csu.edu/RecordsandRegistration/ or at www.csu.edu/coursebulletin/ .

Students DO NOT have to re-register for a course for which they have a grade of incomplete (I). If, after the incomplete contract has expired and/or a change of grade has been issued to replace the "I", a student may register for the course again. See Repeat Policy.

Placement Assessment (ADM 126)
Students must have a picture ID to take the placement assessment. The placement assessment schedule is posted in the office as well as on the Examination Office web site www.csu.edu/examinations/.

Prerequisites (+)
Prerequisites are listed in the university catalog or on CSU’s web site at www.csu.edu/catalogs/. A student should not attempt to register for a course unless she/he meets the prerequisites, if any, for the course. If a student does not meet the prerequisite for a course, the student may be dropped from the course. Please consult with your academic advisor about prerequisites for your courses.

Sexual Assault Prevention Online Education Program
All incoming students who entered CSU during the spring of 2009 or after are required to complete the Student Success Sexual Assault Prevention Program online education program. If you have a Sexual Assault hold (XS) on your account, you must complete the online training program prior to registering for classes. It is critical that you complete this program to avoid being blocked from registering for classes, requesting transcripts, and viewing your grades on CSU X-Press.

Program Instructions
1. The online program is available to you at this link:
https://studentsuccess.org/csu0911-sexualassault/index.php. . You may access this link from any computer with internet access.
2. Under "New Users" enter the following access code: 1190278.
3. Follow the instructions provided to take the program. You will be asked to input an email address and password. Put in your CSU email address and your CSU password.
4. Completing the training requires successful completing of fourteen (14) modules. You may stop and restart the program as many times as you want. You do not have to complete the whole program in one sitting.
5. Present a copy of the Student Success Sexual Assault Prevention Program's progress report to the Office of Admissions in ADM 126/127 to verify completion.

If at any time you need to speak to a trained professional about any of the topics addressed in the program, please contact the CSU Counseling Center at 773-995-2383.
If you have technical difficulties with the program itself, please contact Student Success at terrylynn.pearlman@studentsuccess.org or through the HELP button in the program.

Undergraduate Repeat Policy
Students are allowed to repeat a course and have the highest grade earned count toward the cumulative grade point average. Please note that certain financial aid programs may not cover tuition for repeated courses. Students should contact a financial aid advisor when attempting to repeat a course to determine eligibility.

Withdrawal from the University
(Drop/withdraw from all courses resulting in zero hours of enrollment)
Prior to requesting to formally withdraw from the University, students are strongly encouraged to seek guidance from an academic advisor, major department chairperson, college dean, or from the Office of the Registrar (ADM 128)/ Enrollment Management (ADM 129) for a more suitable resolution to concerns affecting enrollment.

Students who fully withdraw from the university by January 25, 2012 are eligible for a total reversal of tuition and fees. Students are permitted to withdraw from the university with a grade of W on their transcripts until Friday, May 4, 2012, after completing a Change of Program/Withdrawal form. The completed form must include all appropriate signatures and be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by 5pm on May 4, 2012.

Students who fully withdraw from the university at any time from January 26 through February 14 are eligible for a 50% reversal of the refundable tuition and fees.

No refunds will be issued for total withdrawals made after February 14, 2012.

A withdrawal from the University is not complete until the appropriate form is submitted, approved and processed by the Office of the Registrar.

Students who withdraw must also complete a withdrawal survey when they submit their withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar, ADM 128. Withdrawal forms should be submitted in person by the student so that the survey can be completed.

Errors in the information provided on registration/withdrawal forms are the student’s responsibility.
Students can request to drop or withdraw from a course January 26 through May 4, 2012. It is the student’s responsibility to submit the completed and properly signed form to the Office of the Registrar, ADM 128, no later than 5pm, May 4, 2012. Forms submitted after May 4 will not be accepted.

Students who do not opt to drop or withdraw from a course or courses prior to the start of the final examination period (May 7 - May 12) will receive a final grade of A, B, C, D, I, P, or F as issued by the instructor.


Top of page

Back to Spring 2012 Quick Links