Summer 2008 Academic Regulations

Academic Progression Policy
Academic Skills Courses & Placement Assessment
Cancelled Classes
Class Attendance
Contact Telephone Nubmers
Course Drop/withdrawal
Credit Hour Load
Undergraduate Repeat Policy
Withdrawal from the University

Academic Progression Policy
Students who have not successfully completed the academic skills requirements will have a hold(s) placed on their records which will remain until the specified requirements have been met.

Academic Skills Courses & Placement Assessment

English and Reading / Once accepted for admission to Chicago State University, all freshmen and/or transfer students must take the University diagnostic examinations in English and reading by the end of their first term in residence. All students must either meet their minimal requirements of the University diagnostic examinations in English and reading or pass the appropriate academic skills course, namely, English 123/127 or 124/128, or Reading 150. Students placing into an academic skills course in English or reading must enroll in the appropriate course the semester immediately following the examination. To exit from these courses, students must pass the appropriate examination.

Math / Transfer students who transfer in one or two general education math courses with a C or better and whose majors do not require additional math courses do not have to take placement examinations in mathematics. Students must meet with advisors to determine whether or not their majors require them to take the mathematics placement examination. Regardless of major, any student who wishes to enroll in a course or courses for which passing the Math 099 appropriate level of the diagnostic math examination is required as a prerequisite must take the examination and enroll in Math 088 or 099 as advised based on the mathematics examination results.

Questions about the courses, the examinations, or preparation materials should be addressed to the appropriate area:

SubjectChairpersonOfficePhone (773)
MathematicsDr. K. AtteleHWH 332995-2102
EnglishDr. B. AghahowaSCI 320995-2189
ReadingDr. V. JonesED 318995-2089

Cancelled Classes
The university reserves the right to limit the size of the classes and to cancel classes for which there is insufficient enrollment. If the class for which you are registered is cancelled, you will automatically be dropped from the class. If you do not find an alternative class, a tuition refund will be processed to your account according to the refund policy.

Students receiving financial aid may wish to consult with their financial aid counselor concerning any award implications. You may call the Summer Information HOTLINE at 773.821.2888 the Friday prior to the start date of your course for a current course cancellation list.

Class Attendance
Students are expected to attend all class sessions in the course sections for which they are registered unless prevented by illness, an official university activity, or other urgent and unavoidable reasons. The responsibility for maintaining class attendance records rests with each faculty member. Students are expected to make their own arrangements with faculty members about making up class work and all assignments when classes are missed.

The detailed university policy on class attendance is located in the university catalog. If you stop attending a class but fail to withdraw officially from the class before the official drop date, the result may be a failing grade. Although an instructor may drop a student for nonattendance, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to drop the class.

Course Drop/Withdrawal

All students can drop courses via CSU X-Press during the 100% refund period.

NOTE:  You will not be allowed to drop your last class on the web.  If you have validated your classes (received a paid receipt from the Cashier’s Office), you will have to submit a withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office, signed by all appropriate parties.  If you have not validated your classes, you may call the Registrar’s Office at (773) 995-2522 to have your last class dropped.  After this date, degree seeking students must receive the advisor’s approval on the appropriate form for each dropped course or withdrawal. A drop/withdrawal from a course(s) is not complete until the appropriate form is submitted and approved by a Records and Registration staff member. Errors in the completion of the form are the student’s responsibility. The Bursar, Financial Aid and Academic Support offices must sign all complete withdrawal forms from the University before the Records and Registration office may process the withdrawal.

Credit Hour Load

Undergraduate Students / The maximum credit hour load for the Summer Session term is 12 credit hours. This includes all day session courses, evening courses, extension courses and courses taken elsewhere. Students who have a cumulative CSU grade point average of 1.99 or less are limited to a maximum of 6 credit hours or two courses. Students may not be registered at other colleges without written permission from the Office of Academic Evaluation and advisement, ADM 128. This permission MUST be obtained prior to registration at other colleges.

Graduate Students / The maximum academic load of graduate courses is twelve (12) hours in the Summer Session. Exceptions to the graduate course credit hour load may be made with the approval of the graduate faculty advisor and/or the department chairperson and the Graduate Dean. Students may not be registered at other colleges and universities without approval of their advisor.

Prerequisites (+)

Degree Seeking Students
Prerequisites are listed in the University catalog (printed and online versions) or on CSU X-Press. A degree seeking student should not attempt to register for a course unless the prerequisite for the course has been completed. Please consult with your academic advisor about prerequisites for your courses.

Summer Visiting Students
Chicago State University will allow visiting, non-degree seeking summer students who are regularly enrolled at another college or university to enroll in courses via the university’s on-line registration system, CSU X-Press. All other non-degree, at-large students (graduate and undergraduate) must meet all course prerequisites and requirements.

Some professional programs (such as social work, health sciences and education) have restricted course access, which will prevent on-line registration. Non-degree seeking, summer only students can register for all other courses on-line. Courses in the College of Education listed with a prerequisite of “Admitted to the College of Education” are strictly enforced. If a student is interested in taking a course in a restricted program, they must contact that department. For departmental office telephone numbers, consult the Quick Reference Guide in this bulletin.

For at-large students who decide to matriculate at Chicago State University, all regular course, program and degree prerequisites as well as entrance and degree completion requirements must be met. Refer to the university on-line catalog for more information about courses and degree programs.

Undergraduate Repeat Policy
Students are allowed to repeat a course and have the highest grade earned count toward the cumulative grade point average. Please note that certain financial aid programs may not cover tuition toward repeating a course. Students should contact a financial aid advisor when attempting to repeat a course to determine eligibility.

Withdrawal from the University

Students can drop courses on CSU X-Press during the refund period.  After this date, students must use the drop/withdrawal form have an advisor sign it, and then submit the form to the Registrar’s office (ADM 128). Based upon a directive from the Department of Education, effective Spring 2004, the following grades will be implemented to reflect student attendance: WA and WN.

Instructors must post the grade of WA for students who attended at least one session and stopped attending, and WN for students who never attended any sessions. It is extremely important that instructors closely monitor the attendance of all students in their classes.

If you are attending a class, and your name does not appear on the official preliminary and subsequent class rosters, it is your responsibility to contact the Office of Records and Registration.

Contact Telephone Numbers

College of Arts and Sciences773-995-2105
College of Business773-995-3676
College of Education773-995-2472
College of Health Sciences773-995-3987
College of Pharmacy773-821-2500
Continuing Education/Non-Traditional Programs773-995-2545
School of Graduate & Professional Studies773-995-2404


Back to Summer 2008 Quick Links