The F-1 Student Visa

How does your F-1 Student Visa Work?

The F-1 student visa allows non-immigrants to pursue a course of study in the U.S. After the F-1 visa holder completes their program, they are expected to return to their home country. You may apply for you F-1 student visa after you have been admitted to CSU and received an I-20 document from us.

The dependents of an F-1 visa holder are granted an F-2 visa. F-2 visa holders are not allowed to work but may study in a non-degree manner. If you receive an I-20 document from CSU, you should apply for an F-1 visa at your local U.S. Embassy/Consultate. Caution: Individuals are not legally able to register for a full-time course of study if their visa status is currently B1/B2, WB/WT-Visa Waiver. If you have any questions about visa types, please contact GEO.