Post MSW Professional Educator License-School Social Work

The MSW program of Chicago State University is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The program prepares students to meet the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) requirements for School Social Workers and for advanced social work practice that utilizes strength-based and family-centered principles to work effectively with client systems. A Post MSW Type 73 License is available to students who have graduated from an accredited Master of Social Work program.

Supplementary Application Instructions for Admission to the MSW-Type 73 Program

The following materials must be submitted to complete the Post-MSW application packet:

  1. A $30.00 non-refundable application fee.
  1. A completed graduate program application.
    Graduate Application
    You must pass the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP), ACT Plus Writing with a composite score of 22 or the SAT (mathematics and critical thinking) composite score of 1030 when applying for the licensure program.  When you take the examination, there is a provision for you to have your score sent directly to the University. You should do so to facilitate your application. We will only accept official score reports.
  2. You must hold an MSW from a CSWE accredited school of social work. Only those students who obtained a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 will be considered.
  3. You must submit a two page essay with your application materials.

Essay Questions:

Your typed essay should not exceed 2 pages. Please complete the following items:

  1. Please describe your interest in becoming a school social worker?
  2. Describe the professional experiences that you feel have best prepared you for practice within school settings:
  3. The school social work concentration requires a field internship commitment of 2-3 days per week, between the hours of 8am and 4pm. The internship requires 600 hours for a full semester. How would you meet these expectations?
  4. Please describe professional and/ or volunteer activities that have demonstrated your initiative and ability to work independently.
  5. Please describe professional and/ or volunteer activities that have demonstrated your ability to work with others from diverse professional backgrounds, and to work successfully in teams and groups.

 TAP Test of Academic Proficiency 

  • Information regarding the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) including registration, test dates, and a study guide are available at:

 ACT/SAT as an alternative to the TAP

The following must be met:

  • Composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22; or a composite (mathematics and critical reading) SAT score of 1030. The ACT Plus writing must be taken at the same time you receive a score of 22 or higher. If you took the ACT Plus writing and didn’t receive a composite score of 22 or higher and you retake the ACT to attempt to achieve a 22 or higher, you must also retake the writing portion.
  • The official ACT/SAT score report cannot be more than ten years old at the time of application to the program and submission of the ACT/SAT scores to ISBE.

Prospective candidates who wish to use their ACT/SAT score in lieu of the TAP must complete the following:

  • Step 1 - Apply for full admission to an educator preparation program. This means you must have applied to a major, minor, or added a concentration that leads to State licensure. The respective program of application must notify CoTE, that you applied to the licensure program.
  • Step 2 - Complete and submit ISBE Form 73-60 for signature. Submit your application along with a copy of your scores to Lolita Godbold, Director of Field Education in the Department of Social Work.  The form will be submitted to the Chicago State University Licensure Officer verifying that you have applied for the School Social Work Concentration who will then forward the form to the ISBE.
  • Step 3 - Request ACT/SAT send an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. For the ACT, you may use the paper form to request your scores to be sent directly to ISBE. You must use code 3001 for the "College Code"; Under "Name of College", indicate ISBE with the address listed above.
  • Step 4 - If the Chicago State University does not have a copy of your official scores, they must also be sent to Chicago State University.

 Plan of Study

Fall SemesterSpring SemesterOffered in Summer, Fall or Spring
SWK 5471.61
School Social Work Practice I
SWK 5472.61 School Social Work Practice IISPED 5301 Characteristics of the Exceptional Child
SWK 5464.61 Post MSW Field PracticumSWK 5474.61 Post MSW Field Practicum---

 Frequently Asked Questions 

  • Can I do my internship during the evenings?
    No you must meet learning standards that require work during the traditional school day. Even if you are placed in a community school, which may have a longer school day, the bulk of your hours will be completed before 3pm and the activities must be those of a traditional school social worker and align to the Illinois State Board of Education Standards. 
  • Where will I be placed for field?
    Schools that serve as practicum sites can be public or private schools within the city of Chicago or suburban locations. Schools should serve a diverse student population, and provide opportunities for learning experiences across grade levels.
  • Can I work during the program?
    Most of the students in the Post MSW Program have several years of experience in social services and are often employed during their educational experience.  Please consider the required field hours in your decision to work and your work schedule.
  • Application deadline for Post MSW Program is August 1st / Admission: Fall only 
  • How much is tuition?
    Please contact the Bursar’s Office at (773) 995-2470 for up-to-date information on tuition charges for the Social Work Department. The Bursar’s Office is located in the Cook Administration Building. Tuition costs are also published in the semester course schedule book which is available on the web.
  • Information Meetings:
    Call 773-995-2207 to register for a session.