University Mission Chicago State University (CSU) is a public, comprehensive university
that provides access to higher education for students of diverse backgrounds and educational
needs. The university fosters the intellectual development and success of its student
population through a rigorous, positive, and transformative educational experience.
CSU is committed to teaching, research, service and community development including
social justice, leadership and entrepreneurship.
The mission of the Division of Enrollment Management is to holistically, strategically
plan, implement, and evaluate services and programs that focus on the enrollment,
retention, and graduation metrics that support student learning outcomes and maximize
degree attainment, student success, and the image of the University.
Enrollment Management Goals
- Coordinate services and programs to increase student enrollment, retention, and graduation
and prevent duplication of efforts.
- Increase overall communication of the Enrollment, Retention, and Graduation initiatives
of the units to ensure that the internal and external stakeholders are informed about
programs and services.
- Improve overall operational effectiveness and customer service for all enrollment
CSU is uniquely located in Chicago and the state of Illinois. It is the only Predominantly
Black Institution (PBI) and University to offer undergraduate, graduate, professional,
doctoral and certificate programs. CSU is committed to serving its current population
and increasing the racial, gender, and academic diversity of the institution to meet
the changing community, city, state, nation, and global economy. To highlight the
strengths, challenges, and opportunities, CSU has identified planning assumptions
that impact the CSU strategic enrollment management plan:
- Implement recruitment strategies to target first time full time freshmen, transfer,
Honor, International students
- Support University-wide committees that address enrollment, retention, and graduation
- Enhance partnership with the Chicago Public School District, surrounding suburban
school districts, and parochial schools to support educational pipelines and early
- Ensure quality classroom, laboratory space, and technology to support the student
learning needs of the campus
- Explore alternative methods for course delivery
- Partner with community colleges to increase educational pipelines and dual enrollment
opportunities for students
- Implement strategies to ensure CSU has a student oriented, learning environment
- Increase academic and need-based scholarship funds to support student recruitment
Strategic Plan 2012 -15 (pdf)
Strategic Enrollment Plan (SEM) 2011-2013 (pdf)
Enrollment Management 2011-2012 (pdf)