We are a diverse community of scholars, including many non-traditional students.
We offer innovative teaching techniques, accessible faculty, and nearly 60 academic
programs, a number of which have won recognition for their excellence.
Character: Originally founded in 1867, Chicago State University is a fully accredited,
public, urban, commuter and residential institution.
Degrees Conferred: Degrees are conferred at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral
levels. The university offers undergraduate programs in the Colleges of Arts and
Sciences, Business, Education, and Health Sciences. The university offers graduate
programs in the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Education. And professional
degrees in education and pharmacy.
Location: 9501 S. King Drive, Chicago, IL 60628.
- Campus: A veritable forest in the city, Chicago State University's beautiful campus
is set on 161 wooded acres and includes 13 buildings. It is located in a residential
community on the South Side of Chicago, approximately 12 miles from the Loop.
- Transportation: The university is conveniently served by the Dan Ryan Rapid Transit,
Metra, and several bus routes. Ample parking is also available.
- The university's culturally diverse student body comprises approximately 7,000 students,
about two-thirds (2/3) of whom are drawn from the Chicago metropolitan area. Students
also represent several states and foreign countries.
- Athletics: The university fields National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
Division I teams in men and women's sports, including: basketball, baseball, indoor
and outdoor track, cross-country, golf, volleyball, and tennis. See the Athletics Department of Intercollegiate Athletics for further details.
- Calendar: The academic year consists of two 16 week semesters (Fall and Spring) and
a Summer session. See Academic Calendars
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 19:1
- Faculty: 350 full-time and 120 part-time faculty yields a faculty-student ratio of
1 to 19. Ninety percent hold the doctorate or equivalent degree.
- CSU'S enrollment, retention and graduation rates
- Admission: Chicago State University welcomes applications from prospective freshman,
transfer, international, nontraditional and professional students. See Office of Admissions for further details.
What's new at CSU?
MORE than MEETS the Eye...
- Chicago State University, a culturally diverse, fully accredited multipurpose institution,
offers nearly 60 academic majors, has more than 50 student organizations and a surging
Division I athletic program
- Two new landmarks projects -- a state-of-the-art library and a 7,000- seat Emil and
Patricia Jones Convocation Center--has transformed the campus and serves CSU's academic
and cultural needs.
- CSU ranks first in Illinois in awarding bachelor's degrees to African Americans in
the physical sciences, health professions and related sciences. It ranks fourth in
Illinois in awarding baccalaureate degrees to Latino Students in education.
- CSU is rapidly expanding the internship, research opportunities and other beyond-the-class
experiences that link our students to the vast resources of metropolitan Chicago.
- CSU's Pre-Freshman Program in Engineering and Sciences is nationally recognized for
its effectiveness. Our pre-engineers were selected recently to collect research data
for a national study conducted by Cornell University.
- International study program at CSU include the MacArthur Undergraduate Honors Program
in International Studies, which targets sophomore and junior students who demonstrate