Summer 2012 Academic Regulations

Academic Progression Policy
Academic Skills Courses & Placement Assessment
Cancelled Classes
Class Attendance
Contact Telephone Numbers
Course Drop/Withdrawal
Credit Hour Load
Grade Report
Undergraduate Repeat Policy

Academic Progression Policy

A student who has not successfully completed the academic skills requirements will have hold(s) placed on his/her record that will remain until the specified requirements have been met.

Academic Skills Courses & Placement Assessment

Freshmen: Once accepted for admission to Chicago State University, all freshmen must take the University diagnostic examinations in English, mathematics, and reading by the end of their first term in residence. All freshmen must either meet the minimal requirements of the University diagnostic examinations or pass the appropriate academic skills course, namely English 1230, Reading 1500, or Math 0990. To exit from these courses, students must pass the appropriate examination.

Transfer Students: Transfer students who have not completed an associate’s degree (A.A. degree or A.S. degree) must take proficiency examinations in English and reading. Transfer students who transfer general education math courses with a C or better and whose majors do not require additional mathematics courses do not have to take the proficiency examination in mathematics. Transfer students who do not transfer general education math courses or who are required by their majors to take more math, must take the proficiency examinations in mathematics.

Transfer students who have earned an associates degree (A.A. degree or A.S. degree) or who have completed sixty (60) hours or more from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions, and who have completed the Illinois General Education Core, are not required to take the proficiency examinations in English, reading or math unless they are required as a prerequisite for other courses.

Questions about courses, examinations, or preparation materials should be addressed to the appropriate area:

SubjectChairpersonOfficePhone (773)
MathematicsDr. K. AtteleHWH 332995-2102
EnglishDr. R. ChiericoHWH 301A995-2350
ReadingDr. N. GrimED 319995-2086

Cancelled Classes

The University reserves the right to limit the size of classes and to cancel classes for which there is insufficient enrollment. If the class for which you are registered is cancelled, you will automatically be dropped from the class. If you do not register for an alternative class, a tuition refund will be processed to your account, according to the refund policy.

Students receiving financial aid may wish to consult with their financial aid counselor concerning any award implications.

You may call the Summer Information HOTLINE at 773-821-2888 the Friday prior to the start date of your course for a current course cancellation list. You may also view a list of course cancellations and other course changes on the Addendum to the Class Schedule Bulletin at

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all class sessions in the course sections for which they are registered unless prevented by illness, an official university activity, or other urgent and unavoidable reasons. The responsibility for maintaining class attendance records rests with each faculty member. Students are expected to consult with instructors to complete class work and all assignments when classes are missed.

Students who do not attend the first week of a course will be dropped for non-attendance. The detailed University policy on class attendance is located in the University catalog. If you stop attending a class, but fail to withdraw officially from the class before the official drop date, the result may be a failing grade. Although an instructor may drop a student for nonattendance, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to drop the class.

If you are registered for a class, and your name does not appear on the official preliminary and subsequent class rosters, it is your responsibility to contact the Office of Records and Registration.

Students should not attend classes that they are not officially registered for.

Based upon a directive from the Department of Education, the following grades will be implemented to reflect student attendance: WA and WN.

Instructors must post the grade of WA for students who attended at least one session and stopped attending, and WN for students who never attended any session.  It is extremely important that instructors closely monitor the attendance of al students in their classes.

Course Drop/Withdrawal

All students can drop or withdraw courses via CSU X-Press during the 100% refund period. Afterwards, students must use the drop/withdrawal form, have an advisor sign it, and then submit the form to the Office of the Registrar, ADM 128. 

May 29 - June 30May 29 - June 6June 7 - June 12
July 2 - August 4July 2 - July 10July 11 - July 16
May 29 - August 4May 29 - June 6June 7 - June 12

NOTE: You will not be allowed to drop your last class via the Web. If you have validated your classes (received a paid receipt from the Cashier’s Office), you will have to submit a withdrawal form to the registrar’s office, signed by all appropriate parties. If you have not validated your classes, you may call the Office of the Registrar at 773-995-2522 to have your last class dropped. After the 100% refund period, degree-seeking students must receive their advisor’s approval on the appropriate form for each dropped course or withdrawal. A drop/withdrawal from a course(s) is not complete until the appropriate form is submitted and approved by a records and registration staff member. Errors in the completion of the form are the student’s responsibility. The bursar and financial aid offices must sign all complete withdrawal forms from the university before the records and registration office can/will process the withdrawal.

Credit Hour Load

Undergraduate Students: The maximum credit hour load for the Summer Session term is 12 credit hours. This includes all day session courses, evening courses, extension courses and courses taken elsewhere. Students may not be registered at other colleges without written permission from the Office of Academic Evaluation and advisement, ADM 128. This permission MUST be obtained prior to registration at other colleges.

Graduate Students: The maximum academic load of graduate courses is12 hours in the Summer Session. Exceptions to the graduate course credit hour load may be made with the approval of the graduate faculty advisor and/or the department chairperson and the graduate dean. Students may not be registered at other colleges and universities without approval of their advisor.

Grade Reports

Your student information is now available without delay. Final grade reports are available online. Go to and click CSU X-Press to access your final grades. You must enter your User ID (University ID Number) and your Personal Access Code (PAC). Please refer to the information on the web site for more information. If you have difficulty accessing your grades, please contact Technical Support at 773-995-2038.

Prerequisites (+)

Degree Seeking Students: Prerequisites are listed in the University catalog (printed and online versions) or on CSU X-Press. A degree-seeking student should not attempt to register for a course unless the prerequisite for the course has been completed. Please consult with your academic advisor about prerequisites for your courses.

Summer Visiting Students:

Chicago State University will allow visiting, non-degree-seeking summer students who are regularly enrolled at another college or university to enroll in courses via the University’s online registration system, CSU X-Press. All other non-degree, at-large students (graduate and undergraduate) must meet all course prerequisites and requirements.

Some professional programs, such as social work, health sciences and education, have restricted course access, which will prevent online registration. Non-degree-seeking, summer-only students can register for all other courses online. Enrollment in courses in the College of Education listed with a prerequisite of “Admitted to the College of Education” is strictly enforced. If students are interested in taking a course in a restricted program, they must contact that department. For departmental office telephone numbers, consult the Quick Reference Guide.

For at-large students who decide to matriculate at Chicago State University, all regular course, program and degree prerequisites, as well as entrance and degree completion requirements, must be met. Refer to the University's online catalog for more information about courses and degree programs.

Undergraduate Repeat Policy

Students are allowed to repeat a course and have the highest grade earned count toward the cumulative grade point average. Please note that certain financial aid programs may not cover tuition toward repeating a course. Students should contact a financial aid advisor when attempting to repeat a course to determine eligibility.

Contact Telephone Numbers

College of Arts and Sciences(773) 995-2105
College of Business(773)995-3979
College of Education(773) 995-2472
College of Health Sciences(773) 995-3987
College of Pharmacy(773) 821-2500
Continuing Education/Non-Traditional Programs(773) 995-2545
School of Graduate & Professional Studies(773) 995-2404

Top of page

Back to Summer 2012 Quick Links