College of Health Sciences
College-Level Student Grievance
The programs in the College of Health Sciences provide professional level students with a written copy of student and instructor responsibilities, and procedures for enforcing them. Reasons for grievances might include:
- Admission to professional program.
- Admission to clinical experiences.
- Evaluation of student performance in courses, clinical settings, or other program-related activities.
Student grievance procedures and guidelines and the “Petition for Hearing” are available from the respective academic departments.
To initiate a formal grievance, the student must file a completed Petition for Hearing Form with the student’s department chairperson. Before a formal grievance can rise to the college level, it must have proceeded through the prior levels of deliberation indicated below (Each department has detailed procedures for action at each level):
- Conference between instructor and student.
- Conference between chairperson and student.
- Hearing before department level grievance committee.
The dean will appoint a grievance committee to hear the complaint and provide advice. The ordinary rights of parties at a hearing (student or instructor) shall apply, including the right to notice of hearing and decision reached; the right to be present at the hearing; and the right to present and inspect evidence. Specific procedures for the hearing of each case shall be determined by members of the committee. The primary role of the grievance committee is to ascertain whether the department followed their published policies and procedures. Following the hearing, the committee will present its findings and recommendations to the dean. The dean’s decision will be communicated to the department chairperson, to the instructor, and to the student. The decision of the dean will be final. If the student requests and the instructor do not object, the dean may resolve the problem without the intervention of a grievance committee.
- The Dean of the College or his/her representative from the College of Health Sciences.
- One faculty member from the department involved.
- One faculty member from the other academic departments in the college.
- One College of Health Sciences student not from the department.
- One student from the department involved.
Resolution of the committee will be based on two-thirds of the majority vote.