The Technology and Performance Improvement (TPIS) program (formerly, the graduate Technology and Education program) prepares professionals to systematically evaluate situations and implement appropriate solutions in order to improve performance at the level of the worker, work, workplace, or world. The program puts heavy emphasis on the integration of the theories and practices in the areas of human performance technology (HPT), information and communications technology (ICT), and quality management and is aligned with the published standards of the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI).
The program is open to individuals with any educational background which makes it an attractive choice for those who are looking for a change in their career or an opportunity to enrich their skills in the area of technology and performance improvement. Additionally, TPIS provides a unique and flexible curriculum structure which allows students to select a focus area that is meant to be related to their professional interests. The program also offers an excellent opportunity for students to solve practical problems through the thesis/project research component.
The Technology and Performance Improvement program offers many options for study:
- Master of Science in Technology and Performance Improvement Studies (MSTPIS)
- Telecommunications Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
- Education Technology Specialist Certificate (Endorsement program for licensed teachers)
- Undergraduate Information Technology Certificate/Minor
The Master of Science in Technology and Performance Improvement (MSTPIS) program offers many areas of degree specialization:
- Performance Management
- Instructional Technology
- Training and Development
- Interdisciplinary Options
The student learning objectives for the Master of Science in Technology and Performance Improvement program are aligned with the standards of the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI). Students have mastered the following objectives by the end of their programs of study:
- Analyze the environment – Students correctly identify the performance gap and their cause(s).
- Design a solution – Students design solutions utilizing appropriate technologies and strategies which address the identified performance gap.
- Implement solution – Students develop needed materials necessary to implement a sustainable solution.
- Evaluate results of solution – Students accurately evaluate the results of the solution.
- Utilize content knowledge – Students utilize the knowledge of technology and performance improvement to add value and improve results in any given situation.
- Partner effectively – Students effectively partner with group members and clients
- Present a professional presence – Students conduct themselves professionally (verbally, in writing, in demeanor, and presence)
- Ground decisions in research – Students effectively utilize prior research and evidence as the foundation for proposed solutions.
Manage Information Technology - Students effectively troubleshoot, integrate, and utilize technology in various environments.
- Fulfillment of the general requirements for admission to graduate programs.
- Completion of departmental admission requirements, including an interview and a writing and technology skill assessment.
- Completion of 33 credit hours at the graduate level to fulfill program requirements.
- Completion of the university research requirement which culminates in the creation of a graduate thesis or project.
- Submission of an electronic graduate professional portfolio.
- Completion of all degree requirements within six years.
33 Credit Hours (all courses 3 credit hours except as noted)
Required Courses (15 hours)
- TPS 5050 – Professional Practice and Portfolio I (1 credit hour)
- TPS 5060 – Fundamentals of Performance Improvement
- TPS 5070 – Informatics Essentials
- TPS 5080 – Quality Systems and Methods
- TPS 5090 – Research Methods in Technology and Performance Improvement
- TPS 5990 – Professional Practice and Portfolio II (1 credit hour)
Thesis/Project Requirements (6 hours)
- TPS 5980 – Thesis / Project
Students have the option to complete a thesis that requires 6 credit hours of TPS 5980 or complete a project that requires 3 credit hours of TPS 5980 and an additional three credit hour elective course relating to the topic of their project.
Elective Course Options (12 hours)
- TPS 5010 – Ethics and Issues with Technology
- TPS 5110 – Project Management (Pending)
- TPS 5120 – Change Management (Pending)
- TPS 5130 – Performance Consulting (Pending)
- TPS 5210 – eLearning Strategies and Techniques
- TPS 5220 – Internet Publishing for Information Specialists
- TPS 5230 – Multimedia Production
- TPS 5240 – Advanced Multimedia Production
- TPS 5300 – Fundamentals of Instructional Design
- TPS 5310 – Development of Instructional Materials
- TPS 5500 – Computer Systems Technologies
- TPS 5510 – Networking Fundamentals
- TPS 5520 – Network Configuration II
- TPS 5530 – Network Practicum I
- TPS 5540 – Network Practicum II
- TPS 5550 – Network Administration Technologies
- TPS 5610 – Wireless Network Security and Design
- TPS 5620 – Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- TPS 5630 – Database Systems and Technologies
- TPS 5920 – Survey Research Methods
- CMAT 5310 – Dynamics of Persuasion
- CMAT 5304 – Organizational Communication
- CMAT 5315 – Advanced Speech
- ED 5312 – Teaching with Technology
- ELCF 5720 – Integrating Technology into the Curriculum
- ELCF 5900 – The Adult Learner
- ELCF 5410 – Proposal Development for Government and Private Funding
- ELCF 5130 – Human Relations and Leadership
- LIS 5060 – Organization of Information
- LIS 5640 – Human Information Behavior
- PSYC 5190 – Fundamentals of Statistical Methods
- PSYC 5830 – Advanced Educational Psychology
- Another course with approval of advisor
Dr. Moussa Ayyash, MSTE Program Coordinator
9501 South King Drive
Education Building, Room 208E
Chicago, IL 60628-1598
Phone: 773. 821.2441
Dr. Elizabeth Osika, MSTE Program Coordinator
9501 South King Drive
Education Building, Room 208G
Chicago, IL 60628-1598
Phone: 773. 9953744