- Application materials (including official transcripts and two reference forms)
- Applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 for the last 60 semester hours of course work to be fully admitted to the program (or 2.75 through 2.99 may qualify for conditional status).
- Completion of six hours of prerequisite courses, which must include a developmental psychology course (childhood development, lifespan development, etc.) and psychological statistics with a grade of C or better in at least one course and B or better in the remaining course. Students that have not fulfilled the prerequisite requirements may be conditionally accepted providing they take these course within the first year of acceptance into the program.
- Applicants for the School Counseling Track or the Endorsement in School Counseling Program with a valid Illinois Professional Educator License must have passed the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or Illinois Basic Skills for that license or must take the TAP before applying. Students may also take the ACT or SAT as a substitute for the TAP. (Please contact the CSU Educator Licensure Office for more information.)
- Applicants applying for School Counseling or the Endorsement in School Counseling program without a valid Illinois Professional Educator License must have passed the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) within the time limits currently set by the Illinois Licensure Testing System.
- In addition, applicants without a valid initial Illinois Professional Educator License must take the course, Educational Fundamentals in School Counseling as a program prerequisite. Providing they have passed the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP), students who do not have a valid Professional Educator License may be admitted conditionally pending successful completion of ED 5820 within the first year.
- Applicants with a GPA under 3.0 that satisfy the above criteria must successfully complete a written essay as part of their admissions requirement.
- Applicants must be interviewed by the department faculty.
- Due to limited class size, we are unable to accept all qualified applicants into the program.
All application materials must be received by deadline at the following location:
CSU School of Graduate Admissions
9501 South King Drive Cook Administration Building / 308
Chicago, Illinois 60628-1598
Submitting materials to an office other than the Graduate Studies department may delay processing time. Clinical Mental Health and School Track students are accepted once yearly for the fall term. Application deadline - March 1st
Post Masters Endorsement in School Counseling Program students are accepted twice yearly. Application deadlines - March 1st (Fall Admission) / October 15 (Spring Admission).
For graduate admission forms and application click here.
For Graduation Application click here
For Extension of Program form click here.
Students are required to complete their degree requirements in six years.Students needing an extension of one year should complete this form the semester before your sixth year.
For Request to carry additional hours for click here
This form is used by students that want to carry more than nine (9) credit hours in a semester (Students are only allowed six (6) credit hours max. during the summer session).
For Transfer Credit Form click here
Graduate students already admitted to a master’s or certificate program and who wish to enroll at another regionally accredited institution and have credits applied to their CSU program.
For Readmission Application click here
This form is for returning students that are formally admitted into the program but have not enrolled for 2 years or more. Students have six years from the date of acceptance to apply for readmission.
Remember to always make duplicates for personal records.