The Department of Music continues to be a leader in the performing arts at Chicago State University, providing a musical education grounded in experiential, historical, and cultural contexts. Our established undergraduate programs in music education and minor reflect the Chicago musical environment from which the department draws its strength. In turn, the department provides a significant contribution of active professional musicians and educators. To improve the educational opportunities of its students, significant changes in curriculum, faculty, equipment, and facilities will continue to be made in accordance with guidelines established by the National Association of Schools of Music. Additionally, changes in curriculum are evaluated for their effectiveness through ongoing assessment, supported by the vision of the University. The assessment process includes student evaluation, beginning with initial auditions, continuing with regular evaluation throughout student matriculation, and culminating in exit proficiency examinations.
The Department of Music maintains a strong commitment to strengthening its cooperative links with the local community of musicians and music educators, while expanding its vision of a curriculum with a strong multicultural base, reflecting an increasingly diverse student body in the University as a whole. The department will recruit an expanded student body, which reflects the high quality of music programs at the high school (secondary) and community college levels in its geographic base. This will coordinate with improved marketing and recruitment efforts at the University, providing recognition for the high level of quality already evident in the faculty and emphasizing improvement in programs and facilities. Furthermore, the Department of Music, in providing arts education as part of a comprehensive general education, will continue to promote the University's tradition of a strong liberal arts education.
The mission of the Department of Music is firmly rooted in the belief that music is an innate artistic expression of all humanity. The goals of the Department are accomplished through the training of music educators and the offering of general music instruction to the University at large.
The Department of Music is committed to:
- educating a culturally and economically diverse student body, with sensitivity to the musical backgrounds of all students;
- training music educators at the primary and secondary levels;
- providing continuing education for teaching professionals seeking to satisfy certification requirements;
- preparing students for music studies at the graduate level;
- providing all undergraduates the opportunity to experience music through performance and academic study;
- serving the community as a resource in the discipline of music;
- forming partnerships with musical organizations in the community; and enhancing the position of Chicago State University in music research and performance.