Foreign Languages Program
Secondary Teaching Option in Spanish
1. Admission to the program is contingent upon good academic standing and acceptance by the department.
2. Admission to the College of Education is required prior to registration in any professional education courses other than ELCF 152 and 200; PSYC 210; S ED 301.
3. A grade of C or above is required in all Spanish courses, either as transfer credit or completed at Chicago State University.
4. A grade of B or above is required in student teaching.
5. A grade of C or above is required in all other professional education courses, either as transfer credit or completed at Chicago State University.
6. A maximum of nine hours of professional education courses taken at a junior or community college can be transferred into the program.
7. A grade of C or above is required in general education courses noted under the Specific Requirements.
8. During their senior year, students must successfully complete an oral examination. The examination is conducted by a departmental faculty panel on a Spanish literary classic.
Performance will be evaluated on content, vocabulary, and fluency.
9. A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in all coursework required in the program, either as transfer credit or completed at Chicago State University, is required for admission to the College of Education, student teaching, and a recommendation for teacher certification.
10. Graduation from a teacher preparation program requires a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all coursework completed at Chicago State University, and a grade point average of 2.5 in all coursework required in the teacher preparation program, either as transfer credit or completed at Chicago State University.
1. Pass the examination on the state and federal constitutions.
2. Complete 120 credit hours in:
General Education - 56 credit hours
Area of specialization - 45 credit hours
Professional education - 23 credit hours
Specific Requirements-General Education - 56 credit hours
1. COMPOSITION - 6 credit hours
ENG 1270/127 AND ENG 1280/128.
2. HUMANITIES - 6 credit hours
CMAT 113 and 3 elective credit hours in English.
3. NATURAL SCIENCES - 12 credit hours
6 hours of elective courses in biological sciences;
6 hours of elective courses in physical sciences;
at least one course must be a laboratory course.
4. SOCIAL SCIENCES - 15 credit hours
HIST 1310/130 or 1310/131; POL1010/ 101; PSYC 1100/ 141 and 2040/204;
6 hours of courses in social science in the same discipline.
5. MATHEMATICS -3 credit hours
Math 1010/140 and 1020/141.
6. ELECTIVE COURSES - 12 credit hours
12 hours of elective courses approved by advisor.
Area of Specialization - 45 credit hours
REQUIRED SPANISH COURSES - 45 credit hours.
SPAN 2010/151, 2020152; 3010/201, 202; 206 or 207; 213, 214*; 215 or 216; 221, 222, 223, 250, 251; 317. Students must choose one course of 3 credit hours from this group: 219 , 230, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 219, 266, 314, 319, 320.
2. Professional Education - 23 credit hours.>
ELCF 152 and 200; PSYC 210; S ED 301 ; ELCF 353; ED 306; SPAN 363; SPAN 375.