- Who is responsible in monitoring the organization's budgets, expenditures, encumbrances
and available balances?
- The fiscal officer is responsible for managing and monitoring his/her financial resources.
- How do I monitor my organization's finances such as budgets, expenditures, encumbrances
and available balances by account?
- What are the account codes?
- What are the program codes?
- What is fiscal period for appropriated and non-appropriated unrestricted (non-grant)
- I am a fiscal officer of a non-appropriated organization. Where do I see the revenues
deposited into my non-appropriated organization?
- Go to CSU X-press and follow #2 above. Then, check the box stating "Include Revenue
- How do I get training to navigate the CSU X-press, i.e. Budget Query and process On-Line
- The Budget Office will provide the training through the Manager's Boot Camp and On-Line
Budget Transfer Training. Due to limited space, the Budget Office can only provide
one-on-one training to fiscal officer by appointment.
- Where can I get budget change forms or exemptions from quarterly budgets?
- Use the On-Line Budget Transfer form following the instructions in #2 above. If your
transfer cannot be processed via the On-Line Budget Transfer form, go to our CSU website,
under Budget section on the left side stating Forms. All budget forms are downloadable
- When do I submit paper budget change request forms?
- The following types of transfer cannot be processed via the On-Line Budget Transfer
form: Transactions that cannot be processed via On-Line Budget Transfers
- Budget Transfers that are not "zero sum" - pluses must equal minuses
- Budget Transfers that are not in the current period
- Quarterly Exemptions
- Revenue Transactions
- On-Line Budget Transfer Limitations, only
- Deans can process transfers between multiple organizations within a College
- Vice Presidents can process organization transfers that cross two or more Colleges
- How long does it normally take to process budget change forms and personnel transactions?
- The normal processing time for budget changes and personnel transactions is 3-5 business
days from the day it is received by the Budget Office, assuming that there are no
issues on the transfer requests and funding for the personnel transactions
- When is the due date for submitting hiring authorization, hiring form and personnel
change notice to the Budget Office?
- How do I find out if my budget change form has been processed by the Budget Office?
- Go to CSU X-press and do a budget query. All budget changes are posted under the
- I want to transfer non-appropriated funds to my appropriated funds or vise versa,
is this acceptable?
- The budget transfer cannot be processed because we cannot commingle unlike funds.
- I want to transfer non-appropriated funds to another non-appropriated fund, is this
- The On-Line Budget Transfer form can be used to transfer budgets from one non-appropriated
organization to another non-appropriated organization within the same fund, such as
Athletics, Student Activities.
- Budget transfers cannot be done when there are unlike funds (meaning that the fund
codes are different).
- Who obtains approval(s) on the budget change forms? What approvals are required?
- The On-Line Budget Transfer forms will electronically route to the appropriated individuals
for approvals. Please remember to notify the first approver by email.
- If not processing via the on-line form, it is the responsibility of the department
to obtain approvals on the budget change forms before forwarding them to the Budget
Office. All budget change requests require the approvals of the operating Vice-Presidents.
- When is the last day to submit budget change form?
- In order to facilitate year-end closing, approved budget change forms for the current
fiscal year must be received by the Office of Budget no later than the last Friday
of May of the following year.
- What are the most important things to consider before submitting a Budget Change form?
- Funding sources (decreases on the budget change form) must have sufficient available
balances to fund the increases on the budget change form. An error or a warning message
will indicate if funds are insufficient when processing an On-Line Budget Transfers
depending on the type of funds.
- If an expenditure account type has a negative balance, the deficit must be covered
or be included on the Budget Change form in order for the Budget Office to process
the budget transfer request. All deficits must be covered before incurring additional
All Budget Change Forms must be approved by the operating Vice President.
- Where can I learn about the budgeting process at CSU?
- The CSU Office of Budget and Resource Planning's mission statement, budget summaries
for several fiscal years, policies and procedures, forms, schedules, other resources
and contact information are found at CSU - Budget and Resource Planning - Contact Information If you have questions after reading the material online, please contact the Office
- When are the budgets loaded?
- Budgets are loaded on July 1, either on a quarterly or an annual basis.
- Quarterly budgets are loaded in the following periods:
First quarter - July - Sept. Loaded on July 1, period 1
Second quarter - Oct. - Dec. Loaded on October 1, period 4
Third quarter - Jan. - Mar. Loaded on Jan. 1, period 7
Fourth quarter - Apr. - June Loaded on Mar. 1, period 9 (one month advance to facilitate
- As fiscal officer, what do I need to provide to the Budget Office when I have some
personnel changes such as replacement, transfer, salary adjustments or new hires?
- Always identify funding source(s) when there are personnel changes by submitting approved
budget change forms to the Budget Office. Permanent personnel changes such as new
hires, transfers and salary adjustments for continuous employees require permanent
When permanent personnel changes occur during the fiscal year, two (2) approved budget
change forms must be submitted to the Budget Office. One form is for temporary funding
source which is for the current fiscal year, from effective date of change to June
30. The second form is for permanent funding source (annualized), for the next fiscal
year and beyond.
- How do I contact the Budget Office?