The Department of Biological Sciences is committed to providing a rigorous curriculum
to meet the needs of our diverse student population through courses, guided research
and service opportunities. We strive to prepare our students for professional careers,
advanced studies and to become global citizens. Towards this end, our programs foster
an environment that encourages a strong educational foundation that is supported by
innovation, entrepreneurship, leadership, and community service.
In pursuing this mission, the aims of the Department are:
- To provide our students with rigorous but flexible curriculum for timely matriculation
through the program.
- To prepare students for diverse and demanding graduate programs by providing them
with current knowledge and hands-on experience with advanced technologies.
- To provide non-majors with the skills, background, and scientific vocabulary to be
- To increase diversity in the sciences by providing well-trained scientists prepared
for national and global marketplace.
- To produce science teachers with the ability to effectively communicate scientifically
at all levels.
- To provide robust opportunities for independent research through our facilities, studentships/internships,
and collaborators at other organizations.
- To integrate current research with teaching thoughout our curriculum and provide a
supportive and focused research and training environment.
- To train future scientists, teachers, medical practitioners, pharmacists and other
professionals in the ethics of scientific inquiry.
- To develop leadership skills through biological organizations and group work.
- To foster intellectual curiosity and create lifelong learners.
- To encourage service and involvement in the community as a part of the program to
promote engagement by the community with departmental activities.