David M. Hampton, Esq., Coordinator
The Office of Examinations assists students with University testing needs: Qualifying examinations, state and federal constitution exams, graduation requirement examinations, and testing for ACT and CLEP.
Once accepted for admission to Chicago State University, all freshmen must take the university qualifying examinations in English, reading, and mathematics by the end of their first term in residence.
Transfer students who have not completed an Associate of Arts or an Associates of Science Degree must take the university qualifying examinations in English and reading.
1. Any student who transfers to Chicago State University with an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science Degree;
2. Any student who transfers to Chicago State University without an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science Degree, but with 75 or more credit hours and has completed the Illinois GECC requirements before transferring;
3. Any student who transfers that demonstrates having passed the Illinois Certification Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) in basic skills prior to admission.
NOTE: However, this policy will not override the requirements any college, department, program, or major. Some courses list the passing of a qualifying examination as a prerequisite. Students are required to satisfy all prerequisites before registering for individual courses and thus may be required to take the qualifying examinations in some majors.
The testing lab is located in Douglas Hall room 119. The Office of Examinations is located in Cook Administration Building room 200.
March 2014 Assessment Schedule (pdf)
Reserve your seat by clicking here
Walk ins on scheduled test dates, except Saturdays, will be admitted between the hours of 9:30am and 11:00am as space, time and resources permit. Walk ins on Saturdays will be admitted before 9:15am as space, time and resources permit. Schedules and room assignments are subject to change.
Do I need to take the placement/qualifying examinations? Why?
For answers to many other questions concerning placement/qualifying examinations, please read the frequently asked questions section.
- ACT, American College Testing Program
- College Board (AP, CLEP, SAT)
- Compass, reading and math placement assessment information
- GMAT, GRE, Educational Testing Service