Before teaching an online course, instructors should ask themselves the following questions:
- Am I comfortable using basic software programs like MS Word and PowerPoint?
- Am I comfortable using the internet, including uploading/downloading files and using basic email functions?
- Am I willing to check my CSU email every day?
- Will I be able to make my online instruction at least as rigorous, challenging, and engaging as my face-to-face courses?
- Am I willing to think differently and adapt to new modes of instruction, activities, assignments, and assessment?
- Am I willing to stay current with the latest technologies?
If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, then you should consider teaching online. If you would like to proceed, then your next step will be to complete the Online Certification Training course (see below).
OCT is the university's eight-week training program that prepares faculty to teach online. It helps instructors understand what online learning is, how to prepare their course content for an online environment, and what the best practices are for online course development and teaching. It also explores such areas as ADA web accessibility guidelines and internet copyright and fair use.
In accordance with Appendix G of the CSU Contract (2010-2015), all faculty members who wish to teach online must first complete OCT. Permission to teach online must also be obtained from one's respective dean and department chair.
OCT is offered regularly throughout the year. To find out when the next session is being offered, or to sign up for it, contact our offices at 773-995-2960 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty support for online learning is provided by the CTRE, which offers a variety of opportunities, such as:
The CTRE hosts in-person and online training sessions for using Moodle, such as basic navigation skills, setting up a grade book, and using Elluminate. Workshops are held regularly each semester.
Both faculty and students are welcome to make an appointment with CTRE staff to receive support during regularly scheduled open hours in LIB 318. If you would like to make an appointment, click the button below.
All CSU instructors are automatically signed up for this "course" in Moodle, whether they teach online or not. It is filled with helpful resources and guides on online learning, as well as information about upcoming workshops and OCT.