Chicago State University

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who is my academic advisor?

  • Students who have earned at least 30 credit hours may enjoy the benefits of our centralized academic advising model by visiting the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center (UAAC) located Student Union Building - Room 158 or dialing (773) 995-4510.  You may also contact your advisor by contacting your department/program office and obtaining your advisor’s name, telephone number, and e-mail address. This website also contains a list of academic advisors.

  • When should I contact my advisor?

  • You need to contact your academic advisor immediately upon admission to the university and set up a meeting as soon as possible. Although communication by phone or e-mail might suffice, it is really better to meet face-to-face.

  • Why should I bother with an academic advisor?

  • Your advisor will be able to help you answer many questions and functions as a resource person for information about campus programs and services. Your academic advisor knows the degree program you are working on, when courses are offered, what course sequence will serve your purposes, which supportive courses to take and when, how to get information about prerequisites, and so on. In addition, when you seek a job or apply to professional or graduate school your academic advisor is nearly always expected to write a recommendation. You need to get to know your academic advisor!! Anyway, to register on the web you need to get a “pin” called the RAP from your advisor and he or she must sign your schedule request form if you register on campus in arena.

  • How often do I need to see my academic advisor?

  • You need to see your academic advisor before registering each semester. It is best not to wait until registration begins, but rather to make an appointment with your advisor some days before.

  • How do I select a major/minor program?

  • Selecting a major/minor is a very important process. You may want to start out taking your General Education courses until you have a grasp on what career and/or subject works best for you. After you decide go to the department of your choice and find out who your advisor is and make an appointment.

  • How do I start a Grievance and/or appeal process?

  • See your catalog under Uniform Policy for more information.

  • How do I access my transcripts?

  • You will need to go to CSU Xpress, enter your User Id and PAC (Pin number), go to Student Services/Financial Aid, Student Records, and finally transcripts. Note: You will not have access to your transcripts if you have a business hold on your account.

  • How do I drop and/or add a course?

  • Please see your advisor for the necessary form and further advisement.

  • What are the requirements to substitute a class?

Please see your academic advisor for more information on how to substitute a class.